Sunday, March 2, 2014

花莲换工旅游 Hualien Working Holiday Day 3

Day 3: Back to Basics

With full occupancy rate these 2 days, we have about 11 sets of breakfast to prepare. Our guests can choose to have their breakfast at 3 different timings: 8am, 8.30am and 9am. 

We will start preparing breakfast 30 minutes before each slot. This is to ensure the food is hot and fresh. This morning, I observed 冠羽 in the preparation of the fresh fruits side dish. There is banana, guava, pear, orange and grapes in each ramekin. He taught me to cut the fruits in a certain way that makes the presentation more appealing. It looks easy but the fact is it is not. :p I definitely need to practise more. 


While we prepare the fruits, 阿仰 prepares the rest of the breakfast set which looks like this:


The portion of the fruits used to be larger but most guests were unable to finish the whole set. In order to cut down on food wastage, 冠羽 made adjustments to the portion. The food is light and healthy with minimal condiments used.

阿仰 reckons if one keeps taking in a lot of condiments, we will lose the taste of food in its most original form. I admire him for his passion in cooking and striving to prepare the best food for others. He is someone who understands the ingredients in its purest form and knowing the science of it all. I have so much to learn from him. :)

Two things that I have observed here is the concern over food wastage and the efforts in recycling. We will usually finish up the remnants of the cut fruits and extra food left from breakfast. The paper cups and boxes we used for our takeaway food are washed and collected in a trash bag for weekly collection.


After breakfast, I helped to clean up the cafe area. I told myself to be very careful with the cups as some cost SGD40. The shop uses different cups and not standardized ones like some cafés. 


Over the past few days, there were a lot to observe and I have been learning to adapt to a different working culture. One thing I am thankful for is we all have the same attitude towards work and life. This makes working here even more worthwhile. :) 

In the afternoon, I ventured out into the city area. 


It was a perfect time to come here on a weekend, where there is a flea market and lots of people-watching. 




I took a stroll around the area and captured some shots of the old buildings and warehouses which now houses cafés, restaurants and musical events.




As I was leaving the place, I smiled at what I saw. I can't help but to capture a few shots:



Indeed, it is a free stage. :D

As I walked down the road, I checked out:


This was a pedestrian street full of clothing shops and some snack stalls. I did a brief stroll as I was not keen to do any shopping. 




There were two shops I have always wanted to visit. Thanks to Google Maps, I could locate the shops.

 


O'rip means 'life' in the Amis tribal language. It was started by a lady who moved to Hualien. The free newsletter  O'rip was also published to introduce Hualien to others. The newsletter was so popular it had people willing to pay for them. 

The shop sells handmade items and also books on Hualien. Some of the items are really interesting.


Oh, that person looks familiar. Isn't that my boss? :D



虽然简单但有意思的一句话:


Few steps down the road brought me to 花莲日日, another interesting shop. :)




Hualien city's alleys are full of surprises. Walking is a good way to slowly discover and appreciate them. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment