Thursday, February 13, 2014

Working Holiday in Taiwan ~ 台湾换工旅游

I think other than marrying my husband, my decision to go for an overseas working holiday is probably one of the most courageous things I have ever done in my life. ;p

I am extremely thankful for my husband's support. :)

With about 2 months away from home, I thought it will be good to keep my family and friends updated about my life as I know many are genuinely concerned and some curious how I waste  spend my time overseas.

Perhaps I should begin by explaining what a working holiday is all about. I like this simple definition by Macmillan Dictionary - 
A holiday during which you work, for example doing unpaid work to benefit the community in which you are staying.
To add on to the above definition, lodging is usually provided. 

For more information related to working holiday, refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday_visa 


Different countries around the world have their own criteria, most having reciprocal agreements with other countries for the purpose of encouraging travel and cultural exchange between their citizens. There is an age limit for almost all agreements that I know of - Age 18-30

When I first heard about the idea of working holiday, I had already hit my BIG 3. Too late, I thought. Until one day when I chanced upon an article shared by Mr Arthur of Errantry Lodge. This Malaysian lady shared about her experience on a working holiday in Taiwan. After finding out more from Mr Arthur, I was thrilled to find out there was no age limit in Taiwan! During one of my trips to Taiwan (Yes, I love Taiwan), I happened to read a book written by a Taiwanese guy who did a half year working holiday in Hualien. 



Deep down in my heart, I know this is something I would love to do one day. The best opportunity came after I left teaching in a primary school. Not restricted by work, I finally have the flexibility of time. 

Most people keen in a working holiday in Taiwan probably would check out this website for more information: 
http://www.kitaiwan.com/

For me, I was fortunate to find an opening very quickly. Special thanks to Y Ming who recommended 法采时光 to me. After getting in touch with the owner 冠羽, I was asked to send in my resume, a book review and a biography. It had been ages since I last wrote a resume. Haha.

Fast forward before I bore everyone with my long post...

2 weeks before my working holiday begins! 

Where: 
法采时光         
花蓮市中華路269號
970, Taiwan, Hualien County, Hualien City
http://facaitimeless.blogspot.com/

What: 
As a 小帮手(helper), I will be helping to prepare breakfast, clean up the rooms in the Bed & Breakfast inn and perhaps to help out in other areas as required. It is exciting not knowing what lies ahead! On a typical day, it is about half day work, followed by free time for the rest of the day - explore Hualien and do what you like. 

When: 
27 February to 31 March 2014 

Post-working holiday: 
31 March to 6 April - Taiwan holiday with hubby
6 April - 20 April - Korea holiday with my friend

If you are coming to Hualien from 27 Feb to 31 Mar, it will be nice to meet up. ^^ I have some friends who will be visiting Hualien. Definitely looking forward to meeting you all over there!

In my upcoming post, I will be sharing more about my planning leading up to the trip. :)



6 comments: