Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Preparations for Working Holiday - D-1

Packing - In an effort to be a minimalist

Learning from my past lessons, I told myself I have to go minimal this time round. With two months away from home and being in the midst of a change of seasons from winter to spring, it is quite a challenge to pack my luggage. 
 
I decided to replace my usual black suitcase after I struggled to bring it down the aisle in the Busan KTX train. The other embarrassing incident was falling over my luggage when I got off the train in Korea, which my ex-colleague called 'Girl Over Luggage', a pun to the hit-drama 'Boys over Flowers'. It was indeed such an unglam situation! 

With my shorter than average height, it is definitely more feasible to bring along a suitcase that suits my frame. Heh. Thanks to my mum who loaned it to me. 

This is the suitcase I am using: 

There are different ways of packing, ranging from simple folding, using ziploc bags for individual days and using mesh cases for the rolling up method. 

Here are some of my thoughts: 

1. Ziploc bags
Pros- Waterproof, can pack for individual days
Cons - Need to release the air in the bag, uneven and awkward shapes

2. Mesh Cases (Rolling up method)
Pros - Maximise use of space, can pack according to tops and bottoms
Cons - Clothes may appear a bit more crumpled

Since I will be staying at the same place for a month, I decided to go for option 2. I bought the mesh cases from Daiso. 

 
2 types of mesh cases
Due to the unpredictable weather, I decided to pack a mixture of short-sleeves, long-sleeves, light and slightly thicker jackets (black and off-white hoodies, red windbreaker, navy sweater, black light down jacket). I also packed some innerwear of basic colour tank tops and spaghetti tops for layering purposes and I also threw in 3 scarves for different looks. Last but not least, one mesh case was also used for my running gear and two sets of pyjamas. 

5 long-sleeves tops
Short-sleeves and inner wear




2 mesh cases, 2 pairs of jeans and a pair of capri pants fit nicely into the corner of my suitcase. 

Somehow, with other things thrown in, the luggage is filled to the brim. Again. 

Bottles of 羚羊

As I am allergic to NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs), common fever medicine such as aspirin and paracetamol are out for me. The only thing that helps is 羚羊which are pre-packed in containers. Hopefully I will not need to take any!

At the other corner of my luggage is a bag of lingerie and 4 pairs of shoes - slippers, running shoes, loafers and sandals. Herbal tea, American ginseng tea, medication etc filled up the rest of the space. 

The chargers, adapters and toiletries will go in last. I think I am almost done! Looking at the filled luggage, perhaps I need to work harder at being a minimalist. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment