Wednesday, April 2, 2014

花莲换工旅游 Hualien Working Holiday Day 21-33

Day 21-33: 说再见之前...Before it is time to bid farewell...

Since English is the preferred language for most of my friends, I decided to write this post in English for a change. :) 

The last two weeks of my working holiday went by quickly in a blink of the eye. Before I knew it, it was time to bid farewell to my family in Hualien. 

Here's two weeks in a glance:

Yuping and I took the train to Guangfu Township for a day trip. It is such a laid back place that even the town area was quite deserted. The highlight of the day trip was a visit to the Mataian Wetlands. Wearing shorts to the wetlands was a big mistake, causing me to suffer multiple mosquito bites. I would have worn jeans if not for...(more on the reason in my next post). The mosquitoes are not the usual types, rather they are the vicious 小黑蚊 about the size of a black sesame seed. The bites appear smaller but cause more itch than the usual mosquito bites. :(





  
While exploring Guangfu, we walked past a grandfather and his grandson working in the fields while the rest of the family were sorting out their harvest. This is my favorite shot for the day :) He is such a cutie!


Fast forward...

The last few days of my working holiday were activity-packed. Other than completing my tasks at Facai, I was out with my friends who came over for a holiday. It was really great seeing them and we had so much fun exploring the Taroko Gorge with my tour guide friend Y Ming. We also went on food trails within Hualien city. 

These are some memorable shots with my friends:

Enroute to Taroko Gorge - re-enactment of Eternal Summer poster shoot. 


Cingshui Cliff - One of the 10 most scenic views in Taiwan:


Re-visit of Taroko Gorge - Still in awe:


Slabs of marble: 



Getting ready to be drenched in the Water Curtains of Baiyang Trail in Taroko Gorge:


Despite being a blurred shot, it could not mask our enthusiasm:


One of the pitstops of our food trails - 公正包子 vs 周家


My friends stayed over at Facai so that we could spend some time together. :) It was interesting to be the one preparing their rooms and breakfast. Thanks to Golda and Keng Yi for removing the bed sheets before they checked out. It was a really sweet gesture! Glad the ladies also managed to meet Ian and A Young and savoured the much talked about desserts and coffee served at Facai. 

Just when I bid farewell to the ladies, it was finally time to meet my hubby! Ray spent two days at Facai and met my family in Hualien. :) Thanks to Ray for bringing over the laksa paste, my friends were able to try laksa for the first time. Though we did not managed to get some of the ingredients, we made do with some similar ones and it turned out fine. :)

A Young's first successful attempt at making laksa: 


Big bowls for our Taiwan friends! 



No comments:

Post a Comment