Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Travelling on a budget - Accommodation (Seoul)

Travelling is one my biggest expenditure. I think my dear R cannot agree more. In this aspect, we are rather different but I am thankful that he understands and respects my interest. I guess compromise is the word. For him, diving is something he probably finds hard to give up and I am glad to give him the nod when he plans for dive trips.

My job does not allow me to travel any time I wish (make a guess). Sad to say, I can only see summer and winter at peak prices! :( Nevertheless, I still want to travel!

Sometimes I wonder what will happen if my earnings are reduced, say, I change my job. Does that mean I have to stop travelling? Actually, that will just mean travelling on a budget.

Some costs are fixed and there isn't anything I can do about it. For example, entrance tickets and sometimes, train tickets. The amount spent on accommodation and air tickets can be greatly reduced if some effort is put into comparing the various deals available. This is part of the planning which I enjoy but R just cannot make himself go through the hassle of poring over numerous websites.

Here, I would like to introduce the idea of staying in guesthouses / Bed & Breakfast Inns rather than hotels. It is generally cost-saving and provides a platform in meeting new friends from all over the world and interacting with the local hosts.


Total cost for 2 people for 1 night's stay: 70SGD

Free internet
Common kitchen

Free local calls

Our stay at the guesthouse includes breakfast. A pity we were not there on a Sunday!

Our lovely host, Reena

Chatting over breakfast

Reena helping us to find our way to Yongsan Spa

Though we have only stayed for a night, Reena wrote a card for us. :)
                                       
At 35SGD per person per night, we had a comfortable stay and a hearty breakfast. On top of that, Reena gave us some tips and we also met interesting people from different countries. Lee & No Guesthouse is located in Hongdae, a vibrant neighbourhood with lots to explore.

I have booked my accommodation at Hongdae Guesthouse for my upcoming trip next week. Check this space for my review. :)

Lee & No Guesthouse
Address: 561-29 Yeonnam-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea

No comments:

Post a Comment